Contributors to volume 4, 3rd Series, 1989
George Sheeran carried out a program of research at Braford University in connection with the city's vernacular architecture. He is an adult education tutor and has contributed to various periodicals on architectural subjects. He advised the National trust on the revision of the guide book for East Riddlesden Hall and is the author of Village to Mill Town - Shipley 1600-1870 and Good Houses Built Of Stone
John Thornhill was the subject of 'A Profile' in 1986. For many years he has acted as Librarian and his name has often appeared on the Society's lecture programme. Mr. Thornhill is a practical historian. He covers the ground and uses his camera to good effect, as in his tour of Bradford's Western Boundary.
David K. Rayner is a member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society. He is in business as a pharmacist but much of his leisure time is devoted to genealogy. His interest in local history was fostered by Mr AE Simpson, one of our members, who was a long-serving churchwarden of Bradford Cathedral, where David Rayner was formerly a chorister.
Anne Bishop is an Oxford graduate in Modern History. From 1957 to 1977 she was Senior Lecturer in Education in what was then Ilkley college. When degree courses started there she specialised in the History of Education. On removal to Cambridgeshire, Mrs. Bishop lectures to W.E.A. classes and wrote a village history and several church guides.
Cyril Metcalfe was born in Bradford and educated at Hanson Grammar School and Leeds University, where he gained a degree in History. After Army service he held teaching posts at Sowerby Bridge and Hanson Grammar Schools. In retirement he has specialised in the study of local history and his article in this issue is his second about Shelf, where he lives.
Stella H. Carpenter, who has lived all her life in Bradford, was educated at Bolling High School for Girls. Her long career with the Halifax Building Society included appointments as Assistant Regional manager and Bradford District manager. Miss Carpenter, who obtained a BA degree after study with the Open University, is a Justice ot the Peace for Bradford.
Paul Jennings is a lecturer in Public Administration at Bradford and Ilkley Community College. Although of sober disposition, his special study is of inns and drinking shops, a subject dealt with in his booklet Inns and Pubs of Old Bradford and in and article on beerhouses in the Local Historian (vol. 17, No. 8, 1987). Mr. Jennings is at present working on a book which is to be called The Public House in Nineteenth century Bradford.
Elvira Willmott graduated in history at University College, London, and qualified as a librarian, working in london and Dorset before coming to Yorkshire in 1970. She has been in charge of local history at Bradford central Library since 1974. In 1986 she obtained and MA degree at Huddersfield Polytechnic, and as her article shows, she is continuing her research into 18th century Bradford.
Ian Mason studied at corpus Christi College, Oxford and University College of Wales, Aberystwyth. He was Assistant Archivist at the West Sussex County Record office from 1980 to 1985 before being appointed to a similar post at Bradford District Archives.
© 1989, The Bradford Antiquary